Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Seville: The Sights!

Maybe it was the warm weather and the spring break mindset but I found Seville to be a bright and colorful city just waiting to be explored.

"Welcome to my new home," I wish I was saying.

One of the first sights we went to was the Alcazar (or Reales Alcázares de Sevilla), the royal palace in Seville. It is actually the oldest royal palace that is still used in Europe and is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Sight. It is a beautiful palace with many intricate details and colorful tiles.

Numerous walls were covered with these beautiful, colorful tiles. You can't help but smile in their presence.

We spent most of our time at the Alcazar outside exploring the beautiful gardens. There were fountains and mazes and plenty of shade to escape the sun on such a hot day.

Imagine looking our your bedroom window onto this? And this is just one corner of the gardens!

So many peaceful areas to escape the sun for a bit and enjoy nature.

We sort of visited the bullring in Seville, called Plaza de Toros de la Real Maestranza de Caballeria de Sevilla (or just La Maestranza for short). I say sort of because we went to the building but didn't go inside the arena because you had to pay for a tour and bull fighting isn't something I'm that fond of so we skipped out. We got to walk around the building, though, and the colors I could appreciate.

I don't think I'll ever forget the richness of color that fills the city of Seville.

There are so many sights to see just walking the streets of Seville. Every moment something different and colorful caught my eye and I could never put my camera away. After being in rainy Paris for three months, we were all ecstatic to soak in as much sun as possible.

Couldn't resist taking a picture in this beautiful spot!

Don't mind me, I'm on vacation time!

An entire wall, a whole block long, was filled with these flowers!


All of the buildings have so many intricate details.

Not a cloud in the sky.

My favorite place in Seville (beside the Dunkin' Donuts.. kidding!) was the Plaza de España. It is this beautiful plaza and building sitting on the edge of the Maria Luisa Park. Both were built in 1929 for the Ibero-American Exposition that Seville hosted that year. The Plaza de España was built to display Spain's industry and technology exhibits during the world's fair.  We visited the plaza and park two times, we loved it so much.

The first time we visited, it was really hot out so we jumped in the fountain in the middle of the square to cool down. The second time we took a bunch of pictures and then rented bikes to ride around and explore the park more. Both of those moments were definitely highlights from the trip!

Plaza de España.

I changed my mind, it's here that I'm wishing I could say, "Welcome to my new home!"

No shortage of beautiful views.


No comments:

Post a Comment