Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Straight To The Top!

Here's the story of one of the most thrilling and terrifying experiences of my life.




Going to the top of the Eiffel Tower was on the top of Sabrina's Paris bucket list, as well as mine. I hadn't yet done it so we were both brimming with excitement as we made our way to the Eiffel Tower one afternoon of her visit.  We picked an absolutely beautiful day.

La Tour Eiffel standing out against the blue sky.

I thought it looked extra magnificent today.
We walked around the area taking pictures and then decided to grab lunch from a booth by the tower. I was probably extremely judged but I caved and ordered a good ole American hot dog. I don't care what others thought but I haven't had a hot dog in so many months and at that moment it's all I wanted. It was a fantastic choice. We laid on the grass and ate our lunch before hopping on line for the Eiffel Tower.

Not too shabby of a lunch (and nap) spot.

The line was pretty long but moved quickly so, before we knew it, amongst people from all nations, speaking several languages, we were squishing into the elevator.  The first stop was relatively high up and gave us a fantastic view. On this floor you can enter the fancy pants restaurant that maybe one day in my life I might be able to eat at. It was not that day so we continued up to the summit!

Sabrina and I on the first level of the Eiffel Tower!
                                 
The ride up to the summit was absolutely terrifying. Have you ever been on the Tower of Terror ride at Disney? You know, you get in the elevator and go up to the top and then immediately drop at the speed of light? Yeah, I felt as if I was on the Tower of Terror. It was completely all in my head because, of course, this elevator is super safe. However, we just kept going up and up and every time I thought we were about to stop, we didn't so I started feeling as if we were going to drop at any moment. It was comical because everyone in the elevator (other than the controller), which was about six people, were afraid so we all laughed together through our fear.  The view from the top was more than worth the panic caused by the elevator ride.

A view of Trocadero and La Defense from the Eiffel Tower.

What an amazing view!

It was absolutely breathtaking! We could see for miles and miles on this beautiful day. We could walk around and spot each of the monuments and watch the people below us going about their normal lives. There was a champagne bar at the top, which we passed on but is totally adorable. I swear, once you get over the fear of heights, it is an amazing experience and one I never wanted to end! Alas, all good things must come to an end so we made our way down the tower. After another terrifying elevator ride, we crossed the river to Trocadéro for another view of the Eiffel Tower.

I love the view of the Eiffel Tower from this side.

I'll never pass a good photo opportunity!

It was so fun to be a tourist and see the Eiffel Tower from all the different angles. Although the Parisians hated it at first, it's a monument that I find beautiful and keep close to my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment