Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's Finally My Turn

The fact that I'm leaving for six months abroad in just a week hasn't quite set in yet.



Studying abroad has been something that I've dreamed of and talked about since I was a little girl. Ever since I found out that studying abroad was a possibility, I decided that it was something that I absolutely must do. Being the youngest of four children, I've watched my older sibling depart on their own international treks. I was living vicariously through them until my chance to travel, and I mean really travel, arrived. Now that it's finally here, I don't believe it.  

In my mind, thoughts of "well, of course I'm going abroad"are rampant. I know that I am so lucky to have this opportunity to study and travel abroad in, not just one, but two major cities (London and Paris). And I'm so absolutely excited that it's finally happening. It's just that, whenever I think and dream of study abroad, I think of the positives of the experience. The negatives (living in a foreign country on my own, missing my friends and family, speaking a different language, etc) were never as prominent in my thoughts. Of course, now those are the main things I think about. These thoughts do not lessen my excitement for the next six months, though. I'm looking forward to the many new things I will see, experience, and learn. I know I will grow so much from this experience.

It's an interesting sensation to see something you've dreamed about for a majority of your life actually come to life. I'm not sure it will set in until my feet step onto foreign soil (and maybe not even then!).

Well, I'm off to prepare for the holidays, as well as my imminent departure!

No comments:

Post a Comment